Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she’s made it out of the bloody arena alive, she’s still not safe. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge. Who do they think should pay for the unrest? Katniss. And what’s worse, President Snow has made it clear that no one else is safe either. Not Katniss’s family, not her friends, not the people of District 12.

This review DOES contain spoilers. Sorry. I tried, but I couldn't help it.

I was a little worried when I started this book. I broke my own rule and read a few non-spoilery reviews beforehand. I didn't want to know what happened, but I was intensely curious about what other people had thought about it. The basic idea I got was that while they loved it, there were a few things that drove them crazy or they didn't like. So that made me super curious when I started the book myself. What would these random things be that had bothered people? Would I pick up on them or not even notice them?

Anyway, I took my time reading Mockingjay. I didn't want to miss anything in my haste to find out what happens next. And while there were many things that, while I was reading, did bother me (Gale. Peeta. Plutarch.) I was actually extremely satisfied with how she ended the series. And after a couple days to...reflect, I don't think it could have ended any other way. Gale was too changed by the war, and while his attitude didn't make me happy, it definitely fit his character. He and Katniss never stood a chance. The whole Peeta situation had me very worried for most of the book, but he and Katniss are absolutely perfect for each other, even with the way the war changed and damaged them. They helped heal the wounds and smooth out the rough edges. And when she shot Coin instead of Snow I shouted "YES!" I knew that Coin would just be another version of Snow, so I was glad that it hadn't ended with another, differently corrupt leader. Overall I really, really enjoyed Mockingjay. I was saddened by many of the deaths (Prim. Finnick.) but it really had a satifying end. I wasn't disappointed at all.

5/5

Mockingjay
Suzanne Collins
Scholastic
390 pages
$17.99 (hardcover)

No comments:

Post a Comment